If you experience tinnitus, it indicates that there is something wrong in your auditory system. Certain factors have been identified as causes of this problem, such as certain drugs, loud noises, genetic abnormalities or head injuries, but other causes remain unknown. Tinnitus is not considered to be a serious health problem. However, it can be annoying since there is no cure that can totally eliminate the ringing sensations. For the most part, the available treatments are intended to reduce the ringing or buzzing sounds.
Fortunately, there are herbal remedies that can help you relief tinnitus effectively. It is nice to know that nature has given us many herbs to relieve ailments including tinnitus. Herbs have become popular alternative to relieve ailments since they have fewer negative side effects. Listed below are some herbal remedies you can use to relief tinnitus:
1. Ginkgo biloba: This is the most common herb used for tinnitus treatment. It helps you improve blood circulation in your brain. With the increased blood flow, you can obtain faster healing of damaged nerves. If you want to relieve the ringing sensation effectively, Ginkgo bilobais the herb to try first. The ideal dosage is 40 mg of dried Ginkgo or 1 to 2 teaspoon full of the liquid extract per day. Though Ginkgo is known to be effective in relieving the ringing sensations, it may take some time to show results. It can take several weeks or even months for relief to appear.
2. Black Cohosh (Actaea racemosa): This plant is used to relieve bronchitis, rheumatism, fatigue, sore throat and tinnitus. It is also a mild sedative, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic. Black Cohosh has a relaxing effect thus it is effective to treat anxiety or stress. Herbalists recommend that you combine Black Cohosh with Ginkgo for more effective results.
3. Vinpocetine (Vincamine): This is the extract of periwinkle that is able to increase blood flow to your brain and inner ears. Just like Black Cohosh, it also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.
4. Sesame: Chinese herbalists have long used sesame seeds to treat tinnitus, dizziness and blurred vision. You can add sesame to your food to relief the ringing or buzzing sounds. The other forms of sesame are halvah, tahini and sesame candy. Sesame butter can also be found in health food stores.
5. Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis): In some cases, goldenseal can help relieve tinnitus. However, this herb is not recommended for pregnant women. You can combine goldenseal with equal amounts of Black Cohosh.
6. Zinc: Lack of zinc can lead one to suffer from tinnitus or hearing loss. Therefore, it is essential to consume foods containing zinc to relief the ringing sensations. Zinc can be found in some vegetables such as spinach, collards, cucumbers, papaya and string beans. Zinc supplements are also available.
7. Fenugreek Seed Tea: The sounds in your ears can be relieved by taking a cup of Fenugreek seed tea in the morning, afternoon and night.